I suggest you ...

bring in the ability to manage the scripts that I have created

searching, grouping of my scripts is unreliable at best having a UI to manage them would be great.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jonathanallen69jonathanallen69 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

Hi,

We now have a beta version of a UI tool to help people generate scripts for use in SQL Scripts Manager. If you’re interesting in trying it out, here’s a link to it:
    http://www.red-gate.com/SSMScriptGenerator/v1

There’s also an article about using it at http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/sql-tools/fast-and-free-sql-scripts-managers-script-generator/

Thanks,

Colin.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DanielDaniel commented  · 

The UI tool is good to get scripts INTO ScriptsManager, however, I think jonathanallen69 is looking for a better way to manage the collection, tags are good for quick searching, but needs some sort of organization or grouping of a collection of scripts. The search function is good, but then doesn't give any indication as to where it hit - the script? The description? the name?

• Colin MillerchipColin Millerchip commented  · 

We have some of what you're asking for. On the menu, if you select "Help -> How to Add Scripts", this will take you to further information about how to do this (we hope to extend this information ahead of initial release).

Note that this requires that the scripts are embedded in an .rgtool XML file, rather than just managing the raw script. However, this provides a number of benefits:
        - the parameters to the script can be exposed via the UI, optionally with default values assigned
        - documentation can be included, as well as information about the author
        - versioning can be managed
        - it’s also possible to digitally sign the script, so that any attempt to tamper with it would be clearly visible in the UI (note that at the moment, only the scripts that ship with the product are signed, we haven’t exposed a signing service yet)
        - the scripts can be tagged, plus the titles are searchable in the SQL Scripts Manager UI

It would be interesting to know whether you find this functionality useful for managing your own scripts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base